Friday, March 2, 2012

Read Across America Week


Look at our awesome Elementary principal Ms. Susan Cranford aka "Olivia" not to be confused with Ms. Piggy! We celebrated "Read Across America Week" in a big way at TRA. We had different activities each day for the kids. It was a whole lot of fun.  Everyone seemed to really want to participate and have fun with it. After all, who doesn't love Dr. Seuss??? I posted one of my favorite quotes below...I think it pretty much says it all.


Being the last minute person that I have become lately, I realized the night before it was needed that Oney was supposed to dress as his favorite storybook character. Well, we searched and searched. At first I suggested simple ideas like Diary of A Wimpy Kid and Big Nate. Those characters would just require a special shirt and hat. But Oney had bigger and better ideas in mind. He wanted a "costume"...something that wasn't just thrown together.

TGFG...Thank Goodness For Ginny
I ran to Hancock Fabrics and picked up a variety of fabrics, thread, buttons, etc. Then I ran to Party City and picked up a hat. I phoned in a "911" to my Mom and warned her that we would be there in about an hour. Two hours later we had an adorable Pinocchio! It was worth it when he put on the biggest smile you have ever seen! He had a "real" costume!


Different special readers were invited to read to all of the elementary classes. Susan ordered cake for the guests. The drawing to the right of the cake was my visual and the cake that Sherry created is to the left. I think we are a pretty good team. I can come up with some ideas and she always brings them to life!


Addey Grace and Lexi were "Things", Mary Leslie was "Fancy Nancy", and Mac was "Harry Potter"! Thanks to the many teachers and Ms. Susan for going that extra mile to make reading fun!  

0 comments: