Friday, November 25, 2011

Deer or Die

My new obsession in life is deer hunting. I really started getting into it last year and I thought when the season came back around this year that I would not be quite as eager to hunt. I thought after I got a nice kill that I would be satisfied. Boy was I wrong. I cannot begin to explain to anyone in a way that they could understand just how much I enjoy it. I LOVE spending time in the woods...they come alive in the mornings with the sight of the sunrise and the sounds of the animals. It is equally as beautiful in the evenings. 


I had a new APP on my Iphone called Hunt Cal. I became obsessed with it and started relying on it way too much (thanks Mike Barker)! It was 100% accurate some days and other days it was horribly wrong. I do think if you take into account the weather for that day, it was a pretty useful tool. At least the movement times were fairly accurate.


Some things I love about deer hunting...
stillness...alone time...nature...God time...beauty...creation...soul searching...sunrises...sunsets...leaves falling...the chase...the thrill...the kill...family time...cool weather...quiet...me time...


Deer hunting is the ONE and ONLY thing that I feel like I selfishly do for myself. I drop lots of more important tasks and head to the deer stand. I let my laundry pile up, we order takeout for dinner, the trash can overflows, I am late to pickup kids, I fall asleep talking to my husband at night, my paperwork and emails pile sky high, we run out of milk and bread at home (yes, even though we own a grocery store)...you get the picture! 
Even though I have "the mother's guilt", I do it anyway...for MYSELF!

Yes...sometimes I do feel a little...CRAZY...going hunting by myself...leaving my kids behind....needing to be at work instead of the deer stand...but once I get in the stand it is ALL worth it!

0 comments: