Friday, July 3, 2015

St. Jude, ALSAC, BBQ, & The Dabke


Danny Thomas said it best: "No child should die in the dawn of life."


Because of the weather, I clipped this picture from the internet. I just couldn't post what the skies really looked like this morning.  We woke up to a MONSOON this morning. I mean really...I don't think I have ever seen it rain so darn hard in July in Memphis. I really hated it for the city of Memphis and the Convention attendees, but it was probably an answer to my prayers. It sure made my kids not wish to be at the Lake! If the sun had been shining, we really would have felt like we were missing something! Thank you Lord! 

Judson, Jan, Christi, Robin and I had a St. Jude tour scheduled for 9:30am. Judson and I have done it before but you can never do it too many times. We hopped on our bus and rode over to the campus. St.Jude welcomed the convention attendees with OPEN ARMS. They were very accommodating and welcomed us with smiles and open arms. It was like a ghost town over there-today was the official 4th of July Holiday. It definitely made the tour a little easier not to have to see a ton of precious little children(patients) - it was hard enough as it was- to try to grasp the reality of those hospital walls. 

We started out at the Danny Thomas/ALSAC  Pavilion. It was gorgeous!



 Sort of weird...the very first stone I stepped on was this one below...gave me chills to see this...


The Chapel Doors...
A beautiful carving on the walls that came out of Danny Thomas's home. 

HERITAGE...a HUGE part of the Pavilion and a HUGE part of the Lebanese Culture








 "Show me my way in life and I will build you a shrine."

-Danny Thomas' prayer to St. Jude Thaddeus

This bust is located in the research building. We rubbed Danny's nose for good luck! You can see how much it has been rubbed over time...
"There are two kinds of people in this world: The givers and the takers. The takers sometimes eat better, but the givers always sleep better."
– Danny Thomas
One of my personal favorite areas of St. Jude...the alphabet wall. 

Here are some cool facts that you may not know about St. Jude. 


After our tour, we met up for lunch at Blues City Cafe. The older cousins met up and went shopping and to see a few Memphis sites. This picture was obviously taken in the brief break in the rain. 




After lunch, the Federation held "Bingo" in the hospitality room. Yes, Bingo. I thought-really? Im not sure if it was because of the rain or if the crowd is always this big...but MAN this was the biggest bingo game I have ever seen! Yep, we played! 



Maybe it was the Peanut butter and banana toasted sandwiches that Anita Harris prepared for everyone? Maybe it was Elvis? 


Or maybe it was the grand prize? A pair of ...sort of... blue suede (spray painted) shoes! Yep, thats my sister in law...she beat me! I played EVERY single game and never one-she played the last couple and won the grand prize! 


 You can see Judson and Jay trying to get her disqualified for cheating and playing too many boards or for being a "white girl" (NOT Lebanese)...hahahaha!!!
 Paula and Anita did a great job with this and really made it fun for everyone! 
 How cute is this t shirt? Peace, Love & Kibba

Ally and her Jidi hung out at the bar and visited during the Bingo game. Im pretty sure they had a good time, too!


The entire gang went to dinner at the Rendezvous. We always try to take out of town guests to the Rendezvous, especially when we are going to be downtown. 


 How cute is William? He was a trooper all weekend...he kept up with all of the older kids and adults!


 After dinner, we headed back to the hotel to shower and get dressed for the "hafli" aka "party"! 

 HOW GORGEOUS ARE ALL OF THESE KIDS?????


 Uncle Judson and his beautiful God daughter, Jeanne Claire. 


 Brief photo shoot with daddy and his gorgeous girls...


 Abby's Jidi (Lebanese for grandfather) is her puppet...he poses for selfies and whatever else she tells him to do...he is the best! 




 Me and my niece and nephew.


Judson and Kathryn celebrating the fact that they agreed on something! I can't remember what it was but...they agreed for once!


Sittie and Jidi sitting at the party watching their children and grandchildren do the Dabke! Can you tell how proud they were of everyone? I am sad that I didn't get a picture of me, Jan, Tish, Robin and Christi. Oh well, I tried to snap most everyone. 




I think the kids enjoyed themselves...they came to the room at 3:25...when the third band finally quit playing! Those Lebanese people sure know how to have a good time! 

0 comments: